Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM) volunteers have the opportunity to advance the educational role of the Museum, learn about our collections and exhibitions, and contribute valuable support to a nonprofit institution. Qualified candidates should possess an appreciation of contemporary and twentieth century art and design, a flexible attitude for dealing effectively with the public, and an understanding that reliability is critical.
Cranbrook Art Museum is currently accepting applications for Gallery Docents.
DOCENTS (accepting applications through January 15, 2015)
- Connect with others who share an interest in art
- Meet and interact with visitors from around the world
- Continue education in art, craft, and design
- Meet Cranbrook curators, artists, and scholars
- Become a Cranbrook Gallery Docent!
Volunteer Gallery Docents lead guided weekend tours of the Museum’s exhibitions. Requires excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse visitors. Physical requirements may include standing for extended periods and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Cranbrook Art Museum invites you to join our Gallery Docent training program in February 2015. New Gallery Docents must complete a six month training course and serve six months as a Provisional Docent. The new docent training course consists of twice monthly classes on Saturdays from February through July. Classes provide the skills necessary to facilitate meaningful discussion of the Museum’s exhibitions through presentations of modern and contemporary art, selected readings, and in-gallery and in-vault training.
Commitment and Requirements
- Successfully complete the docent training course
- Serve a minimum of one weekend gallery shift per month
- Commit to a minimum of two years as a docent
- Attend 6 (of 10) continuing education sessions annually
- Research artists and art movements as needed for new exhibitions
- Criminal background check
- Maintain e-mail and internet access
- Strong communication and listening skills in individual and group interactions
- Appreciation and respect for a wide variety of creative processes
- A positive and flexible attitude
- Enthusiasm for representing the Cranbrook community
- Be an ArtMember (Join Today!)
If you are interested in becoming a Cranbrook Art Museum docent, please apply using the link below. A CAM staff member will contact you to discuss the position in more detail. Docents are selected based on interest and experience as evidenced in the application. Applications are open through January 15, 2015. Training course begins February 2015.
For more information please contact the Curator of Education, Kelly Lyons (firstname.lastname@example.org / 248-645-3314. Please include your name, email address, and phone number with your message.